Changing pronunciation

asked 2016-11-18 14:34:27 -0500

Steev43230 gravatar image

Hello Experts. Long time English user, first time poster here.

I would like to know, please, how to correctly describe (i.e., terminology) what is going on with the pronunciation change which involes the doubled-up internal consonants.

For sample, people used to pronounce the word "Goodale" as GUH-dale but now they say GOOD-DALE. I think it has something to with the schwa but I don't really know how to describe this change. Not the process over time, but the difference between one pronunciation and the other. I don't even know how to ask the question so I could answer it for myself.

Thank you.

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete