IPA symbol for the sound I describe below?

asked 2015-08-21 16:52:07 -0500

Scott Kern gravatar image

Hello! I'm hoping to go through the International Phonetic Alphabet with my son, encouraging him to imitate my pronunciation of each sound. (Hope I get it right!--will have to study up, but that's another story.)

There's a mouth sound that I can think of that I cannot locate on the IPA chart, though. I cannot even find where on the chart it belongs.

Specifically, it can be made when air is trapped under the tongue, and then the tongue presses down to force the air out. I think the air escapes out the sides. I guess it's a plosive?? Not sure exactly, since the noise can go on for a short period of time. But on the other hand, it's a very limited duration, since the air has to be replaced often in order to make the sound again--it escapes rather quickly and is then depleted until the process is repeated.

I discovered it in childhood, and used to entertain / gross out my friends by making this strange noise that sounded as though it would have been more appropriate coming from a frog, or some strange creature.

Any clues?

Thanks for your consideration!

"Scott" in Maryland

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete



What you have described, if possible, cannot be a plosive. It would be some sort of click sound. I doubt if you can trap air under the tongue. This may not be a speech sound found in any language hence cannot have an IPA symbol.

Goodvoice gravatar imageGoodvoice ( 2015-10-17 08:59:09 -0500 )edit